Landlords Regulations for rental property

Energy Performance Certificates
Since October 2008 landlords offering property for rent are required by law to provide prospective tenants with an Energy Performance Certificate for their property.

Money Laundering Regulations 2003
To comply with this we require two forms of identity from all Landlords. We require a photocopy of a valid passport or driving licence and proof of the Landlords current address in the form of a utility bill.

Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 (Amendment 1993)
The Landlord should be fully aware of the terms and conditions of the Fire and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 and the Amendment to the Regulations 1993 (herein referred to as ‘the Regulations’. You should check that all furniture you plan to leave in the property complies with the landlords Regulations.

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998
The Landlord is fully responsible for making sure that gas installations and appliances are maintained in good order and checked for safety at least every 12 months by a Gas Safe Register Engineer. We organise this important certificate for all managed properties.

The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 and Electrical Regulations 2020
These regulations require that all Landlords’ supplying electrical equipment must ensure that it is safe and will not cause danger and that it satisfies the above Regulations.

From 1st July 2020, it is a legal requirement for all new tenancies to have an EICR inspection certificate, they last for 5 years.

Town and Country Planning Act 1990 and Building Regulations 2000
The Landlord is responsible for making sure that proper consents have been sought and approved for all building works carried out at the Property in the past, present or future.

House in multiple occupation (HMO)
An HMO is a property that has more than two people living in the same property, who do not form part of a single household.  These properties need to comply with certain guidelines, particularly if they are split over three or more floors, such as have mains powered interconnected smoke alarms/heat alarms, 30 minute  fire doors, and fire fighting equipment in high risk areas such as the kitchen.  HMOs should also have an electrical safety check done every 5 years.

Landlords should consult their local authority to find out if they require a licence or not.  Wandsworth council deems an HMO requiring a license to be a property with five or more people living there that are not part of a single household (i.e a family).  Councils are reviewing their policies periodically so they may change this criteria.

It is the landlords responsibility to ensure their property complies with all HMO legislation

Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide

As of October 2015 it is a legal requirement for all rented properties in the England and Wales to have a smoke alarm on each storey of the building.  Carbon Monoxide alarms are only legally required in properties where there is a solid fuel burning appliance, however, at MMP we recommend all rental properties have a Carbon Monoxide alarm.


All rental properties should have regular Legionella assessments to highlight any potential risks to tenants.  The regularity of these assessments depends on the construction of the heating systems in the property.  Where a property has a closed system (Combi boiler system) these properties are deemed to be fairly low risk.  Where as a property with feeder tanks, can be deemed slightly more risky and should be checked more frequently.


Arrange A Free Valuation

Click Here